Rock Those Jackie O’s.
While the concept of sunglasses has been around for centuries, we’ve really only started to appreciate them since around the 1920’s. Even back then celebs used them to hide from the public eye. (Pun intended) We’ve been rocking the cool, calm, and mysterious ever since. And thanks to the likes of the Jersey shore (Atlantic City to be specific) a couple of decades later, a fad was born.
Sunglasses. Sun cheaters. Stunna shades.
Call them whatever you like, the fact is that these babies are a skin care must.
Why, you ask? Aren’t sunglasses just for showing off my sassy style?
Absolutely! But they’re so much more than that.
Believe it or not, sunglasses are like little superheroes for your eye area. Think of them as shields that block out those big bad UVA and UVB rays from your delicate under eye area. You know, those rays that not only increase your risk of squamous cell and basal cell carcinoma and melanoma (aka skin cancer), but also of getting cataracts. And don’t even get me started on corneal sunburns. Yes that’s actually a thing.
As if that’s not enough, sunglasses are essential in delaying the signs of aging. For starters, sunglasses reduce squinting. While I don’t have stone cold facts on hand, just trust me on this one. Do you remember the last time you squinted while you had shades on? No? That’s probably because you didn’t. Especially if your lenses are polarized.
And while I’m not of the “bigger is better” mindset, in this case it does ring true. The larger the coverage, the more skin you’ll be protecting against the break down of collagen and elastin. We all know that tanned skin equals damaged skin so why not do all you can to avoid fine lines as long as possible? My advice? Find your inner Jackie O and dodge and weave those signs of the times.
Get where I’m going with this? No matter your age, no matter your style, no matter your location. Sunshine and UV rays are everywhere. While that sounds incredibly appealing, it can wreak havoc without you even realizing it. Like secret anarchy. On your skin. Gasp!
So here are your need-to-knows:
– Sunglasses are important every day. Sunny day. Cloudy day. Yes, even a cold’s winter day. Wherever there is light, you will most likely find UVA and UVB rays.
– Find shades that block 99 – 100 percent of UVA and UVB rays. No, that doesn’t mean you have to spend your entire paycheck. Just do your research.
– This is not a free pass to skip on the SPF. Sunglasses are your additional back up. Sun protection PLUS sunglasses. Throw a hat in there for complete coverage. Fine lines can sneak into the darndest of places so show them who’s boss.
– You’re never too young for eye wear. Eye degeneration and collagen break down are cumulative, so the earlier you start protecting yourself, the better. Shopping for shades with the fam. Adorable.
– Protective eye wear does not mean wrap-arounds. Though they are a good choice for the fashion savvy.
Need some eye-spiration? Check out a couple of my favorites!
Warby Parker: You can find just about everything here. And if you don’t feel like trekking to the store, they offer at-home try ons! Sahweeeeet.
Bon Look: WP’s Canadian counter part. Okay so you can’t just swing by, but the selection makes that whole distance thing irrelevant-eh.
Tom’s: Yes, that Tom’s. Who can live without that guy. Seriously. Pick up a pair of shades and feel good about it. For every pair you buy, Tom will give a pair to someone in need. Swoon.
Want to get into the nitty gritty of it all? Click here to learn about the full run down on how to care for your eyes.
Got some favorite shades of your own? Share them with us! #thegoldenbelle