Maxwell’s Restaurant & Bar
- Client: Maxwell's Restaurant & Bar
- About: Maxwell's Restaurant & Bar was a legendary staple in the music scene for roughly four decades. With music acts that deemed it the best rock venue in New York (even though it was in NJ), the art exhibits and events in the space had quite the reputation to uphold. I was approached to become the curator for the space shortly after hosting a benefit to raise money for Katrina victims via Habitat For Humanity as a passion project. As an immense fan of the venue, I ecstatically accepted the opportunity and was the gallery curator for two and a half years.
- Task: Art Curator
- The Goal: To curate shows that were refreshing and cutting edge yet fitting for an established venue. Thematic ideas and planning were created in order to capture the attention of such an eclectic audience. Opening nights were organized with a focus on generating buzz and interest for maximum attendance. This not only created an energetic ambiance, but also more opportunities for sales not only for artists but also for the establishment.
- The Audience: Music lovers of all walks. With a wide array of music tastes ranging from punk rock through rockabilly and indie rock. Their art tastes? Just as versatile. Clients ranging in ages 15 - 65. Eclectic crowd interested in non-traditional exhibits. Styles displayed ranged from outsider art through photography. Point of highlight: Annual "3 Feet High" skate deck group show which successfully grew in both participants and attendance and received press and accolades both in the US and Europe. We also held various benefits raising funds and awareness for Katrina as well as IAVA Veterans.
- The Challenge: Curating themes and shows that inspired artists to challenge and perfect their skills, as well as creating commercial interest based on target audience. Many exhibits were group shows that involved project managing anywhere between 20 - 50 participants, providing guidance or mentoring as needed. Event planning element revolved around monthly theme and included: hanging of artwork, designing sales maps and guides, booking dj's, and event marketing design.
- Skillset Utilized: Curating / Event Planning / Project Management / Marketing Design